Re: raven beak clicking

Subject: Re: raven beak clicking
From: "Martyn Stewart" <>
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2003 21:07:35 -0700

I originated from Airdrie just in between Edinburgh and Glasgow as they
say!
I was dragged up there until I was 11 then me mom took me to Manchester
for 8 years, then I moved to the midlands until I was 30 years of age, I
moved back to Scotland and lived in the highlands in Blair Atholl,
Perthshire, great place for birding, I was there for about 5 years then
took off to Spain, Australia and now the USA.
The midges used to do my head in but only when the wife wasn't with me,
they would attack her first!
It's the Mozzies here!!!!
I got some diver recordings in Ullapool too back in 1990, but never
red-throated so well done, I have been successful here in the States
getting most of the Loons with the fabulous Telinga, was able to record
really clear.
I was impressed with your Fulmar recordings Geoff, were they swooping
you when recording? Sounded like I was there mate!
What gear do you use and do you talk as you record or is that studio
work?
I get in the habit of talking when I am out recording and sometimes my
voice-over, drops in at the wrong time just as a bird is calling, the
worst I did was at Loch Garten back in 1991 trying to record an Osprey,
I waited for over 3 hours with nothing, the bird then called as I was
talking, thank God we have Osprey here!!!
The sounds of your corncrake took me back in time too, are they still on
the decline over there?

Great stuff Geoff :-)

Martyn

<Hi Martyn

Doug has posted the raven recordings and a carrion crow clicking/throat
call
at
http://www.naturesongs.com/recordists/nrfiles.html

Where abouts in Scotland are you from? I had a good couple of weeks up
in
Sutherland this June. Finally got close stereo of red-throated
divers/loons
displaying; and raven family parties with the young giving loud howling
calls.

Midges still thriving though.

Best wishes, Geoff.

Geoff Sample