Re: Yellowstone elk recording

Subject: Re: Yellowstone elk recording
From: "ladyraven_69" <>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 16:25:22 -0000
--- In  "Martyn Stewart"
<> wrote:

> Mine too, sounds great, well done Raven, nice recording, did
you pay
> the $1000000 for the permit?

Nope!  I did get a chance to speak to a lot of curious rangers,
though, as I was running around the park with my gear and
homemade windscreen, that turned out looking like Cousin It
from the Addams family.

We had lots of fun conversations with the rangers, as they were
fascinated with our activities.  They were very nice to this amateur
naturerecordist learning to capture the wild on minidisc.  Had
nice opportunities to educate them about natural quiet, the NSS
workshop(birdy bootcamp, as I like to call it), loss of biophanies
and songbirds.  I learned some fascinating things, like part of
the Norris Basin trail has heated up to 200 degrees, frying some
of the wooden walkways, and stayed that way.  This has never
been observed in this area before.  Volcanic and geothermal
scientists, top in the field, from all over the world, have been
studying this all summer.

I had lots of fun adventures.  The MP3 that is up on the list was
convenient, for elk, because the bull bugles 3 times in 30
seconds.  I have some others that are closer, and some that are
farther away.  The ones that are farther, and include multiple
bulls, sound like whale song, as they echo off the hills.

I also recorded some coyotes, from a distance.  No wolves,
though I did get to see one.

Thanks for listening!
Raven