Re: RE: cd's as archive medium-maybe not?

Subject: Re: RE: cd's as archive medium-maybe not?
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Thu, 04 Sep 2003 15:47:40 -0400
Neville Recording wrote:
> Walter Knapp wrote:
> "I have CD-R that were burned as much as 8 years ago that are all fine. I=

> think part of the problem is that back then we only had slow burners and=

> the CD-R blanks were made for that. Now we have high speed burners and
> it's getting harder to find blanks made for the more reliable slow speed=

> burning. Burning a high speed blank with slow speed is going to result
> in non-standard pit size."
>

> I use an HHB Burnitt CDR 830. I think it would be described as a slow bur=
ner? So far I have had no problem with archive material but my oldest mater=
ial is only two years old. For CDr's I always buy the best deal at Radi Sha=
ck! Can anyone recommend reliable CDR's for my unit? You could say that I a=
m burning with anticipation.
> John Neville
> www.nevillerecording.com

The ones I have that are the oldest are Sony's and Fuji's. I've always
used those two brands.

Of course the HHb CDR sound like they would be pretty good. But I've
never seen them on sale anywhere. The article on HHb's international
website recommended checking the specs on the CDR, reject any that don't
specifically say 1X and any that go above 24X was what they said. They
seemed to prefer that the specs be below 8X for top speed.

Even then, make multiple copies, and verify them. No matter what you use
they will have to be recopied eventually. Don't just put them away and
forget them.

I suppose all this uncertainty about CDR's is why I keep doing my
archives on 3.5" Optical disks. Those are far more reliable.