Re: Cool Edit spectograms

Subject: Re: Cool Edit spectograms
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Mon, 01 Sep 2003 00:29:53 -0400
Marty Michener wrote:
> At 01:51 PM 8/31/2003 -0300, you wrote:
>
>>Can anyone tell me how to save a Cool Edit spectogram as an image, not a
>>sound, in jpg or other format?
>>
>>I'm sure it's obvious but I can't work out how to do it.
>>
>>Jeremy
>

> No, it is NOT obvious at all.  You need any of the graphics program, one of
> many widely available for between $ 60 and $ 120 bucks. I use
> Paint Shop Pro version 5 (all the later versions abandoned the most useful
> attribute of the program, being able to save a file in ANY of the many
> specific chosen graphic levels).
> and I use
> Picture Publisher 10*
>
> Anyway, all these programs have a "capture" capability.  You get cool edit
> spectrogram on the screen, of the size and color you want( F4 = Settings,
> tab colors) to set the color scheme, filter to be used, bandwidth, number
> of spectral lines, range of sound levels to which the colors are to vayry
> over, etc.),
>
> then start your graphics program, and tell it to do the capture NOW.
>
> This drops you into CEP with the spectrum on the screen.  The capture is
> made into the system clip board and it quickly appears now as a picture in
> your graphic program, where you can save it as any type of Graphics file
> you want.  Most people use JPEG or JPG, but I recommend GIF or PNG
> depending on how many colors your screen is set for in the first place.

And on a mac, hit Command-Shift-3 and it saves a screen dump onto your
HD. As a pict file, (mac's native graphics format which most graphics
programs in macs read).

Or, hit Command-Shift-4 and it will copy the area you select with the
mouse into the file instead of the whole screen.

Double click on the newly created picture file, and Simple Text will
open it, where you can select and copy parts to the clipboard. Or open
the file into a graphics program.

Command-Control-3 will copy the screen to the clipboard.

Command-Control-4 will copy the area you select to the clipboard.

Mac's clipboard is much more universal than windows seems to be, so you
can paste the clipboard contents into nearly any program that can handle
a bitmap graphic.

At least that's what Mac OS 9 can do, not sure just how much of that is
in OS X. I know some of it is.

And in the occasional program that's disabled these functions, clicking
in the desktop to go to the finder normally leaves the top window, and
all of this works in the finder.