Re: Mini-Pre (was: New Sennheiser dynamic mics/Rode NT-1A's)

Subject: Re: Mini-Pre (was: New Sennheiser dynamic mics/Rode NT-1A's)
From: Rob Danielson <>
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2003 21:14:03 -0500
Nick wrote:

>Begin doorgestuurd bericht:
>
>>  They run on phantom power only. With Evert's help, we figured out how
>>  to modify the $80 Audio Buddy stereo mic preamp to run on 4X9volt
>>  batteries so we're looking at about $500 for a pair of field ready
>>  mics.
>

>Ofcourse this will only be possible if powerconsumption is low.
>Apperently it is low enough with the Audio Buddy. I'am curious about
>two things (maybee three):
>1. I saw some pretty mini-pre the (dbx-mini-pre Tube) and i was
>wondering if I could make it run on battery's
>       does anyone have an idea how low powerconsumption should be to be able
>to let this dbx or any other   averidge mini-pre work on battery's.

You might want to check gain on the DBx pre. The Audio Buddy is 60dB,
the sound devices is 66 dB, many of the lesser cost pres are 50dB.
But if you if you working with robust sources most of the time, 50dB
might be fine. Aren't most of the tube pre specs are noisier in this
price range?

>2. Do these battery's get hot. How many hours until they run out of
>power.

Power consumption on most portable mic pres is not particularly low.
I haven't done a definitive test with different mics etc, but 2
NT-1A's run at least 2 hours on the mod Audio Buddy. Absolutely, nimh
or nicad rechargables. Couldn't afford to run it otherwise. hate to
toss batteries.

>3. Should I try this with rechargeble battery's?
>
>Maybee the last question would be the most important one, I will not
>use normal battery's.
>
>Also these FEL mic amps seem a very neat solution. I use my OKM
>binaurals on line input only but I could use this extra gain. This
>model:Model 3.5 SJ looks very pleasing. It uses however the Plug In
>Power Mic input and not the line input. Further:  it doesn't say
>anything about characteristics.
>Anyone using this??

Haven't used the FEL. I wasn't able to find signal to noise specs on
them the last time I looked. As I understand the FEL, its a preamp
that inserted before the mic level pre in the recorder. As such, it
seems this could reduce headroom and is likely to produce more
relative noise than a pre that uses the line level input on the
recorder. The audio buddy has unbalnced -10dB outs for MD's and
Walkman DAT's or (+4dB) balanced outs for prof recorders.   You
should be able to make up a simple power shunt cable and run OKM's on
the Audio Buddy. The DIY mic list has schematics for this in their
archives.  Rob D.