Mini-Pre (was: New Sennheiser dynamic mics/Rode NT-1A's)

Subject: Mini-Pre (was: New Sennheiser dynamic mics/Rode NT-1A's)
From: Nick Gordon <>
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2003 22:36:27 +0200

Begin doorgestuurd bericht:

> They run on phantom power only. With Evert's help, we figured out how
> to modify the $80 Audio Buddy stereo mic preamp to run on 4X9volt
> batteries so we're looking at about $500 for a pair of field ready
> mics.

Ofcourse this will only be possible if powerconsumption is low.
Apperently it is low enough with the Audio Buddy. I'am curious about
two things (maybee three):
1. I saw some pretty mini-pre the (dbx-mini-pre Tube) and i was
wondering if I could make it run on battery's
        does anyone have an idea how low powerconsumption should be to be able
to let this dbx or any other    averidge mini-pre work on battery's.
2. Do these battery's get hot. How many hours until they run out of
power.
3. Should I try this with rechargeble battery's?

Maybee the last question would be the most important one, I will not
use normal battery's.

Also these FEL mic amps seem a very neat solution. I use my OKM
binaurals on line input only but I could use this extra gain. This
model:Model 3.5 SJ looks very pleasing. It uses however the Plug In
Power Mic input and not the line input. Further:  it doesn't say
anything about characteristics.
Anyone using this??

Nick