Mimicry of human music - RFI

Subject: Mimicry of human music - RFI
From: Syd Curtis <>
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2003 17:33:31 +1000
A non-recordist friend recently asked me in a letter whether birds ever
imitated human music and whether composers ever copied bird-song.  The
latter I can answer at length, (having corresponded with Olivier Messiaen
when h ewas alive), but not the first.

There is a story of a lyrebird chick raised in captivity and learning to
sing by copying flute music.  He was later released and his "flute" songs
were taken up by that lyrebird population.  That's the story.  It's been
disputed.  I think it probably did happen.

But somewhere in the distant past, I'm sure I read of something similar
happening in Europe.  A Blackbird, maybe.  And I think it was documented in
some scientific journal.  Can anyone help me please, with a reference?

TIA

Syd Curtis in Australia