Re: New to this all

Subject: Re: New to this all
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 18:24:41 -0400
Castle, Robert wrote:

> Now on to some questions.
> 1) I have a 1.8 Ghz desktop computer with 256 MB RAM and a 30 GB hard
> drive with 25GB available - what reasonably priced sound editing
> software is recommended?

I use macs, so I'll let the PC folks field this one. Worry about
features over price. A program that has room for growth as you learn is
better than a simple one you will outgrow quickly. Soundfiles are very
large, so disk space will get eaten fast. Start now deciding how you
will archive your recordings.

> 2) Can someone lead me to a source of DIY components for a simple
> parabolic mic setup?

I have a webpage with one concept of a DIY parabolic:
http://frogrecordist.home.mindspring.com/docs/quickparabolic.html

There is nothing particularly hard about building a parabolic mic.
Unless you get into building the reflector itself, which is more work.
Better to buy a ready made reflector, and the Telinga reflector is a
good one. Then it's just some way to hold the mic in the focus, and some
way for you to hold it all to point at something. Endless ways they can
be built. Doug sells Telinga and has the extra dishes:
http://www.naturesongs.com/Telinga.html
My first homemade used a tie tac mic as they are small and not too bad
if you are careful in choice, and they are not too high priced. Any
small mic can be tried. Due to the mic location the weight of the mic is
important to comfortable recording.

> 3) Is there any advice you would care to give to increase my chances of
> making reasonably good bird song/nature recordings?

Two things:

Record, record, record. Nothing does as much good as spending time in
the field recording. And critically evaluate what you get. Errors will
teach you more than what goes right. Experience is a major component is
this activity.

And the key for equipment is in the front end. Microphones first,
preamps second, the rest far less important. Start with what you have,
from that learn where you want to go and what mics or other equipment to
go for. The top end is very expensive, so having some experience will
help save money. (so will things like Ebay) Don't get into rushing after
equipment, it takes time to learn a piece of equipment so you get the
most out of it.