Re: GA Frog CD

Subject: Re: GA Frog CD
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2003 12:23:09 -0400
Martyn Stewart wrote:
> I take my hat off to you Walt, it's a total credit to you mate, is the
> cover picture one of yours?
> I'm still waiting on my delivery :-)

I'm almost ashamed to admit it, but yes that's one of my photos. I've
lots of really nice photos but they choose that one for two reasons.

When the subject of a cover photo came up, I suggested it be of a
calling frog and that seemed like a good idea to everyone. That was my
last input into the choice, I did not think much about it until I saw it
on the finished CD.

Why did they choose a Green Treefrog? Well, there has been a ongoing
effort here to make the Green Treefrog the state frog. Twice it's been
put in as a bill and never managed to get voted on. It's not exactly a
high priority item.

Anyway, that's the only Green Treefrog photo in all the hundreds of
photos I've provided them that can be told to be calling. So, That's how
it came to be.

One of the amusing stories associated with that has to do with the
Atlanta paper, the biggest paper in Georgia. Both times it was put into
the legislature they reported it, and both times with a misidentified
photo of a frog other than a green treefrog. Even though they had both
times shown John Jensen a photo of a green treefrog and asked him to
verify that was what it was. It's the cause of some mirth around here.

The DNR does have a beautiful poster of GA's frogs, well over half of
the photos there are mine too. Again documentation photos from the Herp
Atlas. The production of that poster was paid for entirely by Georgia
Power, and they provided the services of one of their talented graphic
artists and printed it in their print shop. Intended for schools, I
believe DNR will provide it free on request. Check with the same office
as the CD on that.

It's part of a series, the snake poster is also done. Still working on
getting good photos of the salamanders that John Jensen would like to be
next.

When I went down last week to pick up a supply of the CD's to have here
they said they have had quite a few orders, starting from the day after
the announcement. They seemed to be fairly well organized on it, so
there should not be a lot of delay. Only thing that seemed to have
caught them by surprise is that they should receive orders from outside
the country. They had already handled one order to Canada at that time,
but a decision on postage charges for other parts of the world has not
been made as far as I know. Anyone in this kind of boat I do have a
supply here I bought and can sort out details of getting one to you
privately.