RE: Portadisc Internal Limiter Curves

Subject: RE: Portadisc Internal Limiter Curves
From: "Martin Tillman" <>
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2003 23:53:06 +0100

A compressor does indeed NOT operate across the whole dynamic range.
Every compressor in existence has a 'threshold' control that determines
when, in terms of input level, it starts to 'compress', as, indeed, does a
limiter.

A limiter will not allow the output level to go above the threshold level,
no matter what the input level.  A compressor (set to, say, 2:1) will
allow the output to rise by 1dB for every 2dB that the input increases.

> If that's the curve of a
> compressor in the sound recording industry, maybe they need some
> re-education. Or we need to redefine what a compressor does.

No need for a redefinition, but perhaps some people need educating.

> Though I consider it all semantics and of little importance.

The distinction between them is of great importance.