Re: MD v. DAT

Subject: Re: MD v. DAT
From: "Raimund Specht" <>
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2003 13:41:03 -0000
Please note, that I'm participating to this discussion because I'm
interested in the technical aspects  of nature sound recording in
general. I find it interesting to exchange opinions on this matter.
The software and equipment I offer is mainly targeted to scientific
research in animal communication. So, there are probably no
potential customers on this list...

Please show me the horrible artifacts on my spectrograms! You should
also note, that some of the recordings are of course of a bad
quality. But this results from bad recordings conditions. In order
to minimize the file sizes, I reduced the bit-depth down to 8 bit in
some cases. This is appropriate, because it sometimes does not make
much sense to retain the high noise floors of the original 16 bit
recordings. Even those 8-bit 'junk' files do not show any artifacts
that are comparable to ATRAC artifacts. The only 'artifact' you can
find is a relatively high overall (quantization) noise. But that
noise does not change throughout a recording as it would be the case
in ATRAC. There will be no artifacts within the remaining 8-bit
dynamic range.

Sound recording for investigating animal sound communication often
does not require high-end equipment. There is no need to produce
high-quality and noise-free sound recordings for audio CD
publication. So, my recordings and spectrograms are fully
appropriate for that purpose.

Regarding the spectrograms -  you can use any other spectrogram
software to verify the sonograms.

I would appreciate if you stopped any further personal attacks. I'm
sure, that you can get the same objective information from many
others. One source would be the Audio Engineering Society:
http://www.aes.org/publications/AudioCoding.cfm

Best regards,
Raimund

Walter Knapp <> wrote:
> Klas Strandberg wrote:
> > Thanks Raimund. What I would like to understand a bit is how
good the simple
> > AD, DA converters in modern walkman type DAT's and MD's are.
When using a
> > Portadisc compared to a cheap Sharp MD, what role does the AD,
DA converters
> > play?
> > And the converters on cheap sound cards?
> > Will a typical cheap converter on a standard sound card make
visible changes
> > on a sonogram?=20
>

> I believe he already stated his position on this and I quote:
>
> "The differences between various A/D converters or pre-amplifiers
can
> surely be neglected compared to the effects sometimes introduced by
> ATRAC. Believe me or not"
>
> So only ATRAC matters. No other problems exist.
>
> I take a somewhat different view, but I seem to be the only one in
this
> discussion. I will continue to pay attention to the entire
recording
> system while followers of Raimund's opinion can use the meanest
cheapest
> pre's and A/D's as long as they don't use ATRAC. Remember, in
blind
> listening tests even experts do no better than chance at picking
out
> ATRAC material from non-ATRAC. And that was true for much older
ATRAC
> than current. And since in his opinion expressed above the rest
can be
> neglected compared to ATRAC, they will certainly never create any
> noticeable audible difference.
>
> I do like to get my info from others than just people selling
their own
> recorder and software, as Raimund is. Just go look at the
identical