potential large microphone wind-screen

Subject: potential large microphone wind-screen
From: Marty Michener <>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2003 10:35:56 -0400
Hello folks:

I have not had any chance to evaluate the following potential, but it looks
too good not to mention:

My son, going off to college, obtained a new, blue collapsible Laundry
Hamper.  The specifics:

"Bajer Laundry Room, Pop-open hamper with handles."

Open, it is a rectangular volume 14 x 14 inches, and 22 inches top to bottom.
The bottom is thin nylon cloth, like a backpacking tent; the sides are
"duromesh nylon" screening - double mesh fine screen.
The frame is flexible, and pops open and closes to a rectangle 14 x 22 x 1
inches flat, and with a twisting motion, collapses further into an 7 inch
circle, 2 inches thick, which squeezes into an attached mesh pocket.  This
all goes in a clear pouch, 9 x 9 x 1.5 inches thick.  Weight 10 oz. ca 300
grams.

The idea: Inverted it looks like a perfect wind-dead space for shortish
shotgun or omni mics.
Horizontal, it goes over my two Sennheiser ME-67 rig (see web asite
referred to earlier), but the two mic focal points are more or less
pointing at or through the cloth bottom.  I'll have to check this out. I
have the idea of using a soldering iron to poke melted-holes in the cloth
bottom to give it more sound wave translucency . . .

You might be able to put the handles (inverted on the new bottom) over your
tripod head, holding the screen around the mic, mounted on the tripod head. . .

The item was bought from www.rhl.org  for about $15.  I plan to get a few
more.  Worth several trials - but I will have no time until the last
performance of "Fiddler", on Aug 3.

my best regards,

Marty Michener
MIST Software Associates PO Box 269, Hollis, NH 03049

EnjoyBirds.com  - Software that migrates with you.    http://www.EnjoyBirds.com