MDS-PC3 blocks other audio devices on WinXP PC

Subject: MDS-PC3 blocks other audio devices on WinXP PC
From: "tripleoh18" <>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 12:09:52 -0000
I just received an MDS-PC3 and have it hooked up via analog
connection to my SB Live SB0100 card.  That is, the USB connection
is in place and the audio signal travels from the PC3 to the
Line-In on the SB Card.

With the PC3 "USB Device" recognized by Windows XP Pro, I find
that when I use something like Cool Edit or Winamp to play an
audio file no sound comes out of the speakers.  In Cool Edit, I
can see the level bars moving as the recording progresses, but
hear nothing.

I double click on the volume control icon (speaker) in the
system tray and up comes a window labeled "Speaker".  I
select "options" then "properties" and change the "Mixer
Device" from "USB Audio Device" (which, I assume was
created when I installed the PC3 drivers) back to
"SB Live Audio 1040".  Now I see the familiar volume
cotrol panel.  Nothing is "muted", but still no sound from
Cool Edit.

Any idea?