Re: hydrophone questions

Subject: Re: hydrophone questions
From: Aaron Ximm <>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 23:25:40 -0700 (PDT)
Re: getting a cord out of a pelican case MD recorder to a hydrophone for
full-immersion recording...

...at REI before a trip to Fiji a year or two ago I examined 'dry bags'
made specifically for taking portable audio gear kayaking -- they were
specifically made with a sealed and theoretically waterproof exit point
they presumed you'd use for headphones... They were clear so you could see
what you were doing to your protected deck.

You might 'road test' one stuffed inside the pelican?  The cord would
obviously break the O-ring seal of the pelican but you might be able to
get away with at least a very small leak into the pelican, and hence save
the dry bag from total immersion -- I'm not sure if such dramatic
submersion was in its design spec!

Btw something that bears researching -- at a trade show earlier this year
I was shown samples of *very* flat custom multi-conductor cable -- paper
flat. The 'wires' were flattened into something resembling very very
thin but 1/4" wide traces on a PCB board. The manufacturer intended them
to be glued(?) to walls and painted over, for conducting speaker signals,
video, etc. in the upscale pro-AV installation market...

...but I could see such cable allowing a *very* slow leak into a pelican
case if you weren't going deep (I trust you have no plans to! ;) ).

 b e st,
  aaron

PS one final thought, I think core sound or microphone madness is selling
binaural mic setups sealed into otter boxes -- they're not intended to be
waterproof, but they've taken the time to drill a hole through the case;
you might get one from them (I think they're pretty cheap) and try sealing
it permanently around a cable with epoxy or resin...?

  http://www.quietamerican.org