RE: sound of the month

Subject: RE: sound of the month
From: "Dominique Laloux" <>
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2003 01:31:20 +0200
Hi Rich,

Great idea!

Just a couple of days ago, I suggested off-list to Yannick Dauby that it
would be great if everyone on the list was invited to post one recording
per month. Considering there are now over 500 members, that could turn
out in a very fast growing collection of nature recordings...

But of course, not everyone has the facilities to make sound files
available on-line. A solution might be to use some kind of dedicated
on-line database system. Members could identify themselves, then upload
a files (such as mp3 or wav) along with appropriate information :
material used, date and location, species recorded, a short comment,
and, where required, an attached picture or two. Visitors could browse
through the entries in chronological order, or search the database using
a simple form, and enjoy the recordings...

There are some open-licence content management system applica=E9tions that
could be used for that purpose. What would be required is a server to
host the application (with a fair amount of disk space available).
Perhaps we could find some space on an academic server. Some CMS exist
that are written in php and use mysql as a database. And many servers
can handle that.

Let's dream : assuming each list member adds 1 recording per month, that
would lead to the addition of 6000 recordings each year ! ;-)

Dominique Laloux