Re: Motorcycle...City "noise?"

Subject: Re: Motorcycle...City "noise?"
From: Wild Sanctuary <>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2003 12:52:54 -0700
Noise is typically described as "unwanted sound," Rob, particularly
by folks like R. Murray Schafer who wrote the "Noise Handbook." I
describe in my new book, "Wild Soundscapes: Discovering the Voice of
the Natural World," about restaurant architects and interior
designers who purposefully design the interior spaces of their
upscale eateries to be noisy (and therefore stressful) so that owners
can get quick turnover. With hard surfaces, parallel walls, loud and
distorted sound systems, clients don't recognize the trick because
they think that noise equates with "action." But it quickly tires the
unwary clients and, instead of leaving a pricey watering hole or
restaurant refreshed and nourished, clients will leave exhausted,
unsettled, and often angry with no idea why. The owners know. My wife
and I refuse to go where the "action" is these days. And since cinema
theatres are currently cranking the sound to peak levels of around
98dBa, we don't leave home w/o earplugs. At 65 years old, I can still
hear out to 18kHz at last measure (and both my parents wore hearing
aids by this time in their respective lives).

More power to folks like Michael Powers. We also ought to
congratulate folks like Rush Holt, a representative from New Jersey
in the House of Representatives, who recently introduced a bill
(unfortunately defeated in the House by an even vote of 210/210 last
week) to silence snowmobiles in Yellowstone Nat. Park. For those in
this group who support that kind of objective, you might want to
write to him (and your own local congresspersons) with a nod of
support (http://www.house.gov.rholt).

Bernie