Re: MP-2 discontinued

Subject: Re: MP-2 discontinued
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2003 18:29:17 -0400
Dan Dugan wrote:
> Greg Weddig wrote,
>

>>I hope this isn't old news, I know quite a few of you use this; looks
>>like they are keeping parts in stock though...
>>
>>http://www.sounddevices.com/news/mp2-disc.htm
>

> I was disappointed by this; the MP-2 was my best-selling Sound
> Devices product. Apparently it was the lowest-selling product for
> them. Oh, well.
>
> The MixPre has exactly the same preamps and headphone amp. It doesn't
> have the MS decoder, but it does allow you to put one mike on both
> channels, which the MP-2 couldn't do.

Actually you could, put the MP-2 into MS decoding, plug the mic into the
left channel (like it was the mid). Crank the other channel to zero and
adjust the gain with the left channel control. It will come out on both
channels evenly.

I'm also disappointed, and glad I already got one. I bought for the M/S
decoder, so the mixpre is not even in the running. I also have no use
for USB in field recording. I'm not about to suffer with a laptop out there.

Had they priced it a little lower they would have had lots of sales. I'm
sure lots of people looked at it and then bought something cheaper.