Re: International!

Subject: Re: International!
From: Wild Sanctuary <>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 06:51:08 -0700
Road noise, depending on wind and atmospheric conditions can travel 7
miles (11.2km) or more, Klas. We know because we've got hours of it
on tape. Chain saws in a tropical forest, 20 miles (32km), etc., etc.

There are two organizations operational (or nearly so) in the US to
deal directly with noise pollution. One, the Noise Pollution Clearing
House, run by a very cool fellow, Les Bloomberg, deals mainly with
the effects on humans of urban noise and noise in human environments
(streets, shops, elevators, restaurants, shopping malls, etc.). The
other, Quiet Down America!, just in the formative stages, has been
established by my wife, Katherine (aka Kat), as a non-profit
organization dedicated to keeping the effects of anthropogenic sound
to a minimum or eliminated altogether in the remaining natural
habitats. The problem, internationally, is endemic.

R. Murray Schafer, the Canadian
composer/author/philosopher/naturalist/graphic artist/inventor of the
word, soundscape, has written eloquently on the subject in manuals
like "The Noise Handbook," and other documents. He speaks of this at
length in his epic piece, "Handbook on Acoustic Ecology," 1978 (w/
Barry Truax), as part of the World Soundscape Project (now called the
World Forum for Acoustic Ecology...WFAE).

Bernie

Wild Sanctuary, Inc.
P. O. Box 536
Glen Ellen, CA 95442