Animal Communications Study Response

Subject: Animal Communications Study Response
From: Michael Gallagher <>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 23:05:40 +1000
Dear Doug,

Thanks for your posting on naturerecordists, Sat 12 Jul 2003 =93Animal
Communications study - we need your help!=94

I was pleased to read your report of Dr. Con Slobodchikoff=92s research
which indicates that Prairie Dog (Cynomys gunnisoni) warning chirps
convey surprisingly detailed information. The structure of the
harmonics in the chirps alerts other Prairie Dogs about the nature and
even the appearance of threats. One particular modulation pattern in
the harmonics tells other Prairie Dogs that there there is a domestic
dog in their colony and another that there is a hawk above.

I believe with you that the vocalisations of many birds are also rich
in information. In some species, the complexity of the information
conveyed vocally may approach that of the more communicative mammals.

Most bird vocalisation research till now has focussed on bird song -
stereotyped territorial display calls uttered from specific vantage
points, usually by male birds in the breeding season. Interest has
focussed on categorising regional variations, determining the relative
contribution of learning and genetic inheritance on call structure and
the elucidation of brain and physiological mechanisms associated with
call production. This rich vein of research was opened up in the middle
of last century by the emergence of high quality audio recording
technology. Heavy, power hungry, sensitive equipment, however, required
relatively static subjects. Birds sing loudly for lengthy periods from
particular vantage points. It is relatively easy to capture these
calls. Some species even utter such calls in captivity.

Many other types of calls are made as birds flit about unpredictably in
their daily lives, reacting to their environment. To my knowledge, a
complete description of the range of vocalisations uttered by any
particular species has yet to be produced. Many vocalisations of many
species have yet to be recorded. Very little is known about the
function these vocalisations serve. Observers report feeding sounds,
fright and alarm sounds, sounds that promote and maintain bonds, sounds
associated with care of young, sounds associated with flocking, sounds
that convey aggressive threats and warnings. The painstaking work of
recording these sounds and their associated behaviours has yet to be
done. The recent emergence of portable, high quality, affordable
recording technologies and a growing band of amateur naturerecordists
at last makes it possible to launch that endeavour.

Thanks Doug and Con for suggesting this project. Thanks for your offer
to co-ordinate it. Please count me as a volunteer. What an excellent
project for amateur naturerecordists seeking a purpose for their craft.
What a productive use of our carefully assembled recording equipment
and our hard won skills.

Michael Gallagher
Bendigo
Australia