Re: Re:Dawn Chorus recordings

Subject: Re: Re:Dawn Chorus recordings
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Sat, 05 Jul 2003 02:15:03 -0400
Vicki Powys wrote:
> I agree with Rich that "a chorus from anytime within the year 2003" might
> attract more participation.  I'd be happy to submit something from eastern
> Australia.  But a three minute recording is too big for me to send even as
> mp3, and certainly the thought of downloading a whole batch of really long
> recordings from others would send my feeble internet connection into
> hysterics.

Though there is some sort of dawn stuff going on almost year round here,
there are better times. The birds are a bit off peak now. Too busy with
all those young mouths to feed.

> What are people's thoughts on turning the 3 minute sequences into a CD (or
> two or three?)  Maybe we could have short extracts on a web site and a
> longer version on CD?  Those people with slow connections could simply
> snail-mail their contribution to the compiler.  I'd love to hear sample
> recordings from naturerecordist members around the world, everything from an
> "all-day-dawn" recording from Barb, to frogs-at-night from Walt, and
> everything in between.  (No strict rule on "dawn" obviously).

My "dawn" (with the frogs) occurs at sunset.

> Our summer here (January-Feb) was so drought stricken that not even any
> insects were making sound, let alone birds.  The air was depressingly silent
> and full of dust and heat and smoke from wildfires.  It is winter here now,
> and quite cold.  Hopefully spring will see some decent rainfall and a return
> to more normal weather patterns, and some birdsong!

I spent the last several years sifting frogs from dust. This year there
is rain, and the frogs love it! Though in some ways it's harder to find
them, when it was dry they were concentrated, now there's water everywhere.