Martyn's Mystery Warblers

Subject: Martyn's Mystery Warblers
From: Marty Michener <>
Date: Thu, 03 Jul 2003 09:46:32 -0400
Martyn:

This is RE the four warbler test set up by Martyn Stewart.  Good spirit!
Thanks for getting the web site working.  BTW I have not yet read anyone
else's read of these songs, so I am probably making a total (_&_) of myself=

by posting this.

I have never claimed to know western warbler songs, save a few obvious
patterns like Oporonis tolmiei. With Greg's I knew where he had recorded
the voices.  With these sounds they could be from anywhere from New Guinea=

to Nova Scotia, a condition of confusion in the field to which I am not
used. ;^)  Not one are typical of any eastern form I had learned before I
went mostly warbler-deaf around 1975.

Warbler 1 I have no clue:  I cannot hear any of it and it does not match
any warbler I have ever recorded or heard.  Pure speculation: It could be
any of those songs I have been missing hearing for the last 30 years, in
the woods or on tape - Black-poll, Cape May, Bay-breasted or Blackburnian,=

to say nothing of west coast species.  It is not typical of any of the
eastern birds I used to ID regularly when I had my upper hearing.  If from=

western USA, I pass.

Warbler 2  I can hear, meaning some sounds are now below 5 kHz.  Again, not=

a pattern that matches any familiar eastern form.  It does have two
features: detailed internal chatter in the main body, and an interesting
two part rising ending.  Could be an atypical Oporornis, albeit a high
pitched one, (possibly even a very misguided Nashville?).  The first 2/3 of=

the song sounds most like a very high Oporornis,  but with the Kentucky all=

the sound energy is usually below 5.5 kHz and it has no fancy ending, and
the MacGillivray's and Mourning end going DOWN. It is way too high for any=

typical Connecticut and twice as long (2.8 sec).  So if pressed, I would
have to guess you have an atypical, optimistic MacGillivray's.  Maybe a
cross-genus hybrid with a Hermit ??!! :^)

Warbler 3  All near 4 kHz, so I would guess a rather simple form of D.
coronata - yellow-rumped Warbler.  It is way too low pitched for the Cape
May - Blackburnian -  Bay Breasted crowd.  At that pitch, it could possibly=

be SLOW a Pine warbler - but too short a song - they usually go for 1.8 to=

2.5 seconds on that same pitch; or even a Prairie D. discors that does not=

rise - I have heard that, but rarely.    If west of Mississippi I am mostly=

disqualified. The pitch, pattern and length of song all suggest an atypical=

Myrtle D. coronata, so I give it an 80%.

Warbler 4  Could be a butter-butt with an unusually distinct ending - I
have heard some similar; assuming east coast.   Again, if west of
Mississippi I am disqualified. The pitch, overall pattern and length are
right for coronata. But the sound is clear and strong, not like our loose
trilling Myrtles in the east. It is too short for a Prairie or Graces
Warbler and too unstructured and long for a St. Lucia Warbler.  Of course
it is way below the pitch range of the higher singers mentioned above, so I=

would give it an 80% for D. coronata.  I do not have sound references for
Kirtland's, Olive-capped, Barbuda, Adelaide's, Golden-cheeked, Colima,
Virginia or Bachmans.

Ok, that is my best shot from this coast.

my best regards,

Marty Michener
MIST Software Associates PO Box 269, Hollis, NH 03049

EnjoyBirds.com  - Software that migrates with you.    http://www.EnjoyBirds=
.com