Re: singing spiders!

Subject: Re: singing spiders!
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2003 14:40:04 -0400
Wild Sanctuary wrote:
> Not really, Walt, if the question is serious. Perhaps someone in the
> group knows how to make a very sensitive transducer out of a slide.
>
> We've been working with UCSF on a very large, isolated and sensitive
> transducer that would pick up the signature of cell metabolism and
> certain types of viruses attaching and detaching themselves from cell
> media (work already published by some folks in Great Britain a couple
> of years back, altho I forget the reference at the moment). Protozoa
> should be relatively simple...perhaps even with existing
> hydrophones...but in a space much larger than that of a slide (hear
> Track 6 on the CD that comes with "Wild Soundscapes" as a reference).

It is a serious interest. Before I got sucked into frogs I frequented
swamps for protozoa. In fact that's how I got sucked in. Saw about the
survey, thought that would be a good way to look in more swamps for
protozoa. My field microscope has not been used in a few years, though
I'm going to get back to that. My primary professional training and long
term interest is aquatic micro ecology. I've been toying with this idea
for a while, though have not done a lot of research yet.

Be glad for any references that might help. I can fit a single protozoa
in a larger volume of water if that's what's necessary. I've even got
the micromanipulators to sort bacteria one at a time. Though it would
sure be nice to do it on a slide where I can watch the animal.