Re: help wanted for project

Subject: Re: help wanted for project
From: "cmursic" <>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2003 17:48:13 -0000
This is quite similar to an installation by Brian Eno that was on
display at the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art (and elsewhere, I'm
sure) a few years ago.  Eno had recorded various tones, chords and
simple melodic sequences on to CDRs, mounted about fifteen small CD
players to the wall of the room, and put each of the players on
repeat play mode (starting each at a different time).  The durations
of each CD varied slightly, so that the aggregate sound palette
perceived by the listener was always changing and never repeated
itself.  He's been doing this kind of loop-based, "self-perpetuating"
ambient music for several years now.  A crude approximation to what
one hears in the wild, where every sound and sound combination
is essentially unique and doesn't repeat (assuming there's more
than one sound source, be it animal, vegetable or mineral).  Infinite
in its complexity yet elegant in its simplicity: a real paradox, the
way I see it.