Re: software crash

Subject: Re: software crash
From: "Raimund Specht" <>
Date: Sun, 08 Jun 2003 20:42:44 -0000
Klas Strandberg <> wrote:

> I'll follow your advice to chop up the recording into smaller
pieces.
> WaveLab has that facility, I had just forgotten about it.
>
> WaveLab has somthing called "Batch Processing". Does that mean one
can make
> it do an extra "batch" copy?? I don't have the manual.

Unfortunately, I do not know all the details of WaveLab.
Generally, "batch processing" is known as a tool for executing the
same operation (e.g filtering) on a several existing files at once.
This is something different than the multiple file recording mode I
meant. If such an option is available in Wavelab, it should be
located somewhere in the recording options.

> Another question: What is it that makes WaveLab so speedy? It is 4-
5 times
> quicker than CoolEdit. If I want to find other programs of the
same kind,
> what should I look for??

The differences might arise from different software concepts or even
different data formats. Perhaps WaveLab uses the faster (but less
precise) 16 bit integer arithmetic and CoolEdit uses 32 bit floating
point instead. As in many other technical systems, there are often
tradeoffs between speed and versatility, sophistication and
precision. However, as we have discussed recently, the precision of
audio editing commands is not very important in our noisy nature
sound recordings...

Regards,
Raimund

PS: I just downloaded a W32.Bugbear.B diagnosis tool and the latest
security patch for Windows XP in order to defend my computer against
any potential attack.