Inexpensive Herperbolic Mic

Subject: Inexpensive Herperbolic Mic
From: "Hap Holly" <>
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2003 18:37:16 -0500
Greetings from a newcomer to the group. By way of introduction, I am the bl=
ind producer of a free, ham radio audio magazine I dubbed the RAIN Report. =
Thanks to  the Sound Forge (http://sonicfoundry.com) accessible editing sui=
te of programs, I work entirely in the digital domain except for excerpting=
 from many hours of seminars I record from in analog directly from in-house=
 PA systems in the four forum rooms at the annual Hamvention in Dayton, Ohi=
o. In those rooms I use a half speed, 4-track cassette recorder that allows=
 me good spoken-word recordings at 15/16 IPS, totaling some six hours per 9=
0-minute cassette. So my experience in outdoor recordings is limited.

While visiting out-laws in Tucson recently, I Yearned to record the many va=
riations of the mockingbird, a species I grew up loving to listen to in Esc=
ondido (San Diego county) years ago prior to moving to my present residence=
 in Des Plaines, IL.

 Back to the issue at hand: While I was using a Rip Flash (http://pogoprodu=
cts.com) digital recorder that rips real time to MP3 (exceeding 128 KBPS if=
 desired), I did not have any kind of directional mike.

So all this babbling is to ask for suggestions on a directional mike that w=
on't bust the bank. It of course will require some sort of preamp to drive =
the aux input of the Rip Flash. Suggestions are welcome, privately or other=
wise.

Hap Holly, KC9RP
Founder/Producer, RAIN Report
http://www.rainreport.com