Re: Inexpensive Herperbolic Mic

Subject: Re: Inexpensive Herperbolic Mic
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Fri, 06 Jun 2003 00:22:48 -0400
Dan Dugan wrote:
> Welcome, Hap. You wrote,
>

>>While visiting out-laws in Tucson recently, I Yearned to record the
>>many variations of the mockingbird, a species I grew up loving to
>>listen to in Escondido (San Diego county) years ago prior to moving
>>to my present residence in Des Plaines, IL.
>

> Must be something in the air down there. I grew up in San Diego, and
> I remember mockingbirds singing all night. I've been thinking about
> putting together a mockingbird CD!

I put together a informal one for my mother last year. Recording one of
the resident mockingbirds at my place for the entire CD in three
different days, most of it in one long afternoon. Had to be heavily
filtered due to the noisy environment at my place. My mom, who loves
them, but does not live where they occur, was delighted.

I've been thinking about doing another. The same bird is out there
nearly every day to remind me. Or maybe see if I can find one in a
quieter area. In some ways it's like recording a recorder of all the
local birds and other noises.

They would also be a great deal of fun to videotape. Mine has a bunch of
little dances and things he does, each with it's own unique call. Like
flinging himself straight up in the air and floating down like a leaf,
with call emphasis on each flutter and turn of the "leaf". Fantastic to
watch!

I have a fair number of them on or near my place, but this one is so
obvious calling from a power pole near my blueberry patch. When he's not
calling while eating blueberries. He can gobble my blueberries and not
miss a beat in his calls. The show is worth a few blueberries.