Re: testing mic self-noise

Subject: Re: testing mic self-noise
From: Rob Danielson <>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 10:05:44 -0500
Raimund  wrote:

>--- In  Rob Danielson <>
>wrote:
>>Part of our difference in whether mic sensitivity is a factor could
>>be our usual recording environments/goals. When isolating a bird
>call
>>with a mkh-60 or parabola, the noise introduced by sensitivity is
>>usually not audible in the sound file. The saturation of  the
>>sustained body of the call might be 20-40% with percussive peaks in
>>the 60%-100% range. To contrast, in the middle of the night in a
>>rural setting, with an MP-2 cranked max and mkh-20's (10dB[A]
>noise),
>>the noise floor of the forest will produce 6% sound file saturation
>>with distant effects reaching ~12%. The later file has to be
>boosted
>>a great deal digitially to be heard upon playback and is a demanding
>>test of noise, from any source, including bit depth and resolution.
>
>Hi Rob,
>
>I agree, that such quiet ambient recording situations are much more
>demanding than recordings of relatively loud calling animals at
>close distances. However, I believe, that it does not make much
>sense to amplify extremely soft sounds artificially for playback.
>You should listen to these recordings also in a quiet environment
>(e.g. using headphones) at low sound levels with the playback volume
>adjusted not much louder than at the original recording site. You
>could improve the subjective quality of a recording, if you placed
>the microphone as close as possible to one or two foreground sound
>sources (e.g. a calling owl or something else) in order to increase
>the peak sound level (and the dynamic range). This would also make
>the situation more interesting to the listener. Another trick is to
>fade in noisy recording slowly. This would allow our ears getting
>used to the noise.
>
>The logarithmic sound level scale is based on the dynamic range of
>our human auditory system. 0 dB corresponds to the lowest sounds
>that we are able to perceive. A microphone noise floor of 10 or 5 dB
>would be very close to our hearing threshold. However, when
>considering these few remaining dB's, mother nature still seems to
>have the more advanced know how in designing low-noise
>omnidirectional 'microphones' than any other human microphone
>manufacturer ;-).
>
>As Walt pointed out recently, the absolute sound levels in natural
>environments are usually very low. Imagine, you recorded a soft
>sound, lets say with a peak amplitude of 40 dB by using a microphone
>having a self noise level of 10 dB. When you then playback that
>recording at a higher volume in your living room (e.g. 20 dB louder
>than at the recording site), the original microphone noise of 10 dB
>would be reproduced at 30 dB (10 + 20) and the peak sound level at
>60 dB (40 +20). The amplified microphone noise of 30 dB can then be
> [...]

Hi Raimund--
Thanks for taking the time to bring the discussion back to the places
and circumstance we  occupy. Fewer and fewer listening opportunities,
even with headphones. For a recent surround sound installation
comparing listening environments day and night urban and rural, I
used a free standing planetarium, turned off the HVAC and found the
city penetrating the walls at 30 dB.  The high levels demand
recordings that "pop," yet enlightenment requires effort-- records
that lay back and invite.  The experiment suggested to me that
current frustrations, the "filtering" and withdrawals from
communications within mechanical environs, are still first reactions
to-- a 150 years of inherited and personal exposure?  People who
heard the installation reported they were prompted to walk to work
again and talked positively about hearing collectively what is there
all the time. The incredible listening talents we possess as animals
are still in tact waiting for old or new roles to surface.  I sense
that quite a few people are running run around with pretty decent
sound recorders and dedication.  My grandfather left me a box of 16mm
black and white films from 1927-1933 and I ended up with an MFA in
film.  Among the junk the next few generations will be rummaging
through will be boxes of marked and unmarked CD-R's and minidiscs.

As a film and video maker, I know well close micing, layering and
mixing in the retreat of headphones. What I have learned through my
buttocks, is hard to unlearn, but I'd like to bring my mediated
experiences closer to place, back to particulars of selected
experiences.   I am not a purist, I will layer and fabricate to no
end if it takes me back more knowingly to the original spot, but,
like most, I prefer being in the field. I didn't know where to seek
out good advice as I became interested in field recording and have
only recently come to this list which has been a tremendous help. Its
obvious to me now that low noise, for me, translates into to less of
the most tiring aspects of the work. But should one trade in the 10
years of learning to equalize? Tell me; my guess would be self-noise.
Rob D.