Re: First recordings with a Telinga

Subject: Re: First recordings with a Telinga
From: "Raimund Specht" <>
Date: Mon, 26 May 2003 23:23:07 -0000
--- In  Aaron Ximm <>
wrote:

> Hi Raimond,
>
> I was wondering if you had any comments yet about the MKH 800 as a
field
> recording microphone?  I was attracted to it (and the MKH 80)
since the
> ability to change patterns would greatly reduce the kit I might
eventually
> have to carry around, but I haven't heard one, and only Walt's M-S
use of
> the 80...

Hi Aaron,

I still have not very much experience with the MKH 800 (I recently
had too many other things to do). The main reason why I got this
model is it's extended frequency range. This feature will enable
recordings of grasshoppers and bats too. However, it should be
noted, that the noise floor is increased at these higher frequencies
compared to the very good noise performance in the audible frequency
range.

> In particular I was wondering if the switchable pattern introduced
any
> mechanical fragility that would indicate it might eb less robust
than the
> equivalent fixed-pattern MKH's...

I still could not find any mechanical fragility caused by the
switchable pattern facilty.

> ...and also of course I'm curious how you like its sound! :)

As far as I can say, I'm very satisfied with that microphone (but I
can not compare it with the alternative MKH 20/30/40/50 because I do
not have one of those models). In contrast to all other MKH series
microphones (MKH 20...70), the MKH 80 and 800 seems to be designed
primarily for studio applications and less for field recordings
(there is only the foam windscreen MZW 80 available, no zeppelin).
The two internal diaphrams are mounted perpendicular to the
longitudinal axis. This does not matter when you use it in a
parabola, but must be considered when using it without a reflector.
The included shockmount allows to use it with a tripod in an upright
position.

I have three short recordings of a Lesser Spotted Woodpecker
drumming on different 'instruments' made with the bare MKH 800 on my
website http://www.avisoft-saslab.com/sounds/sounds.htm:

http://www.avisoft-saslab.com/sounds/ksp1.wav
http://www.avisoft-saslab.com/sounds/ksp2.wav
http://www.avisoft-saslab.com/sounds/ksp3.wav