Lurker Decloaking on the starboard bow

Subject: Lurker Decloaking on the starboard bow
From: "Chris Butterfield" <>
Date: Thu, 8 May 2003 14:23:54 +0100
Hi Folks,

I've been a member of this list for a while, but haven't been out recording
for some time.

This week I decided to get back to recording, and have dug my homemade
binaural head our of storage. I've obtained some new mics to try on the
head, these are phantom powered little tie mics which Maplin similar to
Radioshack in the US were selling.

Has anyone experimented with setting a minidisc on a some form of timer so
as to catch the dawn chorus. I know I should get up, but ill health prevent=
me getting up that early.  I have CFS (Chronic Fatigue Syndrome) and any
drastic changes to my normal routine like getting up at o'dark thirty (4am)
can have reprocushions on my health for anyhting upto a week or more.
Someone here in the Uk mentioned using the Synchro Record feature on my
Sharp minidiscs. I have the MS 702, I wonder how long you can leave it in
Synchro record mode on just the internal Lithium-Ion battery?

I'm also thinking of obtaining a parabolic reflector, my budget is extremel=
small, and I've been offered an old metal one for 25 GB pounds made by a
British company called a Grampian. I just wondered if anyone had any
experience of these?

Regards,

Chris B.

---