RE: Lurker Decloaking on the starboard bow

Subject: RE: Lurker Decloaking on the starboard bow
From: "Martyn Stewart" <>
Date: Thu, 8 May 2003 08:43:19 -0700
(I have CFS (Chronic Fatigue Syndrome) and any
drastic changes to my normal routine like getting up at o'dark thirty
(4am)
can have reprocushions on my health for anyhting upto a week or more.)

I was told I was a lazy git back home in Scotland when I was there!
(Only Joking)
I don't know of any other way to set a timer on a recorder, of course
there are lots of other things to consider too, where you're going to
put in to have maximum effect, if you don't get up, how do you know the
birds are singing?  The right location and weather conditions, it maybe
dry when you place it but in the night it could persist down!! so a
waterproof bag of some kind is needed, then there is the mic to
consider, what if its not raining but blowing a gale through the area!
Then all you will record is wind noise, as far as I know, there is no
substitute for being there at the right time, the Sync facility would be
no good, say you set it for 4:30am and left it at 10:00pm the night
before, that is 6.1/2 hours even before you start recording then the
time of a disk 74 mins, not much help I'm afraid,
I know when I was in the UK I made a parabolic mic set up from a
Squirrel baffler, that I got from the nature shop, I cut away a larger
hole and inserted my 2 penny mic in there, obviously now, it was as good
as you get a kids toy from eBay but it worked, You may pay up to a
thousand quid for a good one now but check out eBay, if you find a way
of asking the birds to wake up a little later, would you tell me?

Martyn