Re: mp2 vs. mp3

Subject: Re: mp2 vs. mp3
From: "Raimund Specht" <>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 22:43:49 -0000
--- In  Tom Dietsch <>
wrote:

> I've been looking at the PC Card Recorder from Marantz as a
digital option
> for recording bird song.  This recorder uses several formats
including wav
> and mp2.  I'm familiar with the drawbacks of mp3.  Does mp2 have
the same
> problems?  The PC Card Recorder seems to be a good option to have
it both
> ways: wav files for high quality uncompressed recordings and mp2
for lower
> quality applications.  But I'd like to have a general sense what
the mp2
> will do to the recordings.
>
> This seems like a basic question, but I couldn't find a good
answer after
> several hours of internet surfing.  If there is a site that has a
good
> primer (or FAQ) on digital recording, please let me know.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Tom Dietsch

Tom,

we just discussed some aspects of audio compression technology
including MP3 and ATRAC in this group.

MP3 is the predecessor of MP2. The drawbacks of MP3 (and also of
MP2) will strongly depend on the bit rate and the kind of signals
recorded. In some systems, the bit rate can be selected by the user.
Higher bit rates will provider better quality. Often, MP3 is used at
very low bit rates (e.g. 96 kbit/s), which may lead to a very poor
sound quality. But if you used MP3 at the same bit rate as MP2 (e.g.
at 256 kBit/s), you will probably get better results with MP3,
because it is more advanced. You will find some measurements on MP3
and further links to the Fraunhofer Institution, which developed the
MPEG audio technology here:

http://www.avisoft-saslab.com/compression/compression.htm

Regards,
Raimund