mp2 vs. mp3

Subject: mp2 vs. mp3
From: Tom Dietsch <>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 16:19:32 -0400 (EDT)
I've been looking at the PC Card Recorder from Marantz as a digital option
for recording bird song.  This recorder uses several formats including wav
and mp2.  I'm familiar with the drawbacks of mp3.  Does mp2 have the same
problems?  The PC Card Recorder seems to be a good option to have it both
ways: wav files for high quality uncompressed recordings and mp2 for lower
quality applications.  But I'd like to have a general sense what the mp2
will do to the recordings.

This seems like a basic question, but I couldn't find a good answer after
several hours of internet surfing.  If there is a site that has a good
primer (or FAQ) on digital recording, please let me know.

Thanks,

Tom Dietsch