Re: MicList Database

Subject: Re: MicList Database
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 14:49:18 -0400
Rob Danielson wrote:
> Walt wrote:
>

>>> O   =3D     Omni
>>> C   =3D     Cardioid
>>> W   =3D     Wide Cardioid
>>> H   =3D     Hyper-Cardioid
>>> 8   =3D     Figure Eight
>>> Multi        =3D    Multi-Patterned
>>> Hemi         =3D     Hemispherical (as with PZM)
>>> Bin  =3D    Binaural
>>> Para        =3D     Parabolic
>>> SASS         =3D    Stereo Ambient Sampling System
>>> M-S =3D     Mid/Side Stereo (built in)
>>>

>>I was actually thinking about the graphs.
>

> We could link the above headings to some diagrams, have to make them thou=
gh.

At least for the upper level mics you don't have to make them. The
manufacturers supply the graphs. Good enough for what we need.

>>But, yes these give some idea.
>>
>>Binaural, Parabolic, M-S would really not have a single standard polar
>>pattern. SASS, if used with omni's would probably have one that would be
>>pretty consistent.
>>
>>Probably need a short shotgun and long shotgun category. Sometimes
>>called lobar.
>

> Possible to break up "H" into two categories,.. We'd have to look up
> a lot of polar pattern info!. Would there be clear limits
> distinguishing short from long?

In terms of polar pattern, each shotgun is it's own animal. There can be
more difference between two models of shorts, for instance, than between
the short and long of a given series. For instance between a MKH-60 and
a MKH-416. The MKH-60 more closely resembles the MKH-70 than the MKH-416.

> And a quality more commonly judged in stereo imaging which is another
> use factor that folks should specify. I guess there should be enough
> prompting in the form to encourage useful info but without dictating
> or taking away from people's personal priorities.

We tend to think of soundfields with stereo mics, because we can hear
something like that when listening to the recording. But mono mics have
soundfields too. At least I think in terms of soundfields with them.

>>> I have added these combinations:
>>>
>>> Sennhesier  MKH-30/MKH-40 M-S
>>> Sennhesier  MKH-30/MKH-60 M-S
>>> Sennhesier  MKH-30/MKH-70 M-S
>>> Sennhesier  MKH-80/80 M-S
>>> Sennheiser  MKH-20 SASS Enclosure
>>> Sennheiser  MKH-110 SASS Enclosure
>>
>>I'm sure others will have more. I could even have more. Combinations
>>should probably be a separate section.
>

> Because people might not see it as a personal combination rather than
> factory made mic combination? Let's see how many combos we have. We
> can separate.

Certainly where you have a all in one stereo mic, that's generally not
something that you can pick a element out of and use with some other
element. But in made up combo's with multiple mics you can do that. Many
of the combo's are fairly well known and used by a number of recordists.
The total number of possible combo's is huge.

> Noted. The Sony's, the AT 822/825 and the Sennheiser's specs are the
> glaring absences.

I have the AT 825 pdf, but not the 822, I'll see if I can find that. I
have all the current Sennheiser stuff. The Sony is a bigger problem as
sony does not give complete specs. I have some specs, however.

I'll try and forward the data as I have time. Will filling in a copy of
the spreadsheet do for now?