Re: MicList Database

Subject: Re: MicList Database
From: Rob Danielson <>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 00:10:48 -0500
Walt wrote:

>Polar patterns would be nice to have in the specs part of the database.
>I refer to those a lot.

I didn't add the index to the spread sheet yet. The abbreviations I'm
contemplating are below. Please add/revise ones I've missed.

O       =       Omni
C       =       Cardioid
W       =       Wide Cardioid
H       =       Hyper-Cardioid
8       =       Figure Eight
Multi    =      Multi-Patterned
Hemi     =       Hemispherical (as with PZM)
Bin      =      Binaural
Para    =       Parabolic
SASS     =      Stereo Ambient Sampling System
M-S     =       Mid/Side Stereo (built in)

>I think the specs should be separate. One format
>that you might consider for that is pdf. Have it on a html page and have
>a downloadable pdf copy. Pdf is as close to a universal format as you
>can get.

I agree, for the MicList, a pdf doc would be best. I can do a pdf
version if the formatting in pdf holds.

The Mics Spreadsheet would have the specs and can be used for
sorting, deleting, adding to. It also has model links to the Mics
List.

>  I'm not sure if the windows
>version can read the mac excel files,

Maybe a pc user can report whether the spread sheet will load in
exel. The link is below.

>I'm not sure about preferred recording subjects/locations. Since I might
>use any of the mics I have depending on my mood, how close I am and so
>on. I've commented on how music and studio work tends to categorize mics
>by instruments they record. But in nature recording we don't generally
>get so specialized. For my mics preferred subjects/location would be
>frogs/Georgia for all the mics. Splitting it out more would not give a
>true picture.

"Frogs in Georgia" would say a lot.   I changed to "Tested in these
Recording Situations"

>I tend to categorize mics by their potential soundfield. What sort of
>area they are going to pick up from. Like, for instance, the
>SASS/MKH-20, which has a very wide soundfield, but not a lot of depth to
>it. Compared to, say, the Telinga w DAT Stereo, which I think of as kind
>of pear shaped field, with a very long neck on the pear.

I agree. Would a  separate question like "Description of the mic's
Soundfield:" work?

>The other problem, is combinations. All my M/S mics are combinations of
>two different mics. It's not the only way that they can be used. And
>each mic in the combo has different specs, except in the case of the M/S
>MKH-80/80, where the same model is used for both with one set to figure
>8 and the other set currently to cardioid. Or there is the SASS/MKH-20
>and SASS/MKH-110. These have different characteristics than the
>contained mics. Though obviously some of their character derives from
>the mics.

I have added these combinations:

Sennhesier      MKH-30/MKH-40 M-S
Sennhesier      MKH-30/MKH-60 M-S
Sennhesier      MKH-30/MKH-70 M-S
Sennhesier      MKH-80/80 M-S
Sennheiser      MKH-20 SASS Enclosure
Sennheiser      MKH-110 SASS Enclosure

>Note in listing the Telinga Pro V, there are several different mic
>elements. It's a family of mics with different characteristics. Most
>common elements to see around are the DAT Stereo, or the Dual Science.
>The Dual Science even has two independent mono mics in it.

I added DAT Stereo and  Dual Science.

We need to dig up specs for some of the mics.

>There have been considerable comments about various mics in the group.
>Extracting those might be worthwhile if there is to be a comments database.

True, but not without a lot of searching and clipping together and
they'd still have to approve it.

The idea is for Nature Recordist subscribers to provide concise
testimony about a mic or two they feel well versed with. I will
proceed with the Mic Database if enough subscribers say they're
interested. Feel free to go ahead email me your additions. The form
to use is below, feel free to improvise.

Yours--
Rob Danielson

Here are the links to the updated materials:

A. Mic Spreadsheet WebPage--  html page comparing specs with links to
the MicList.
http://www.uwm.edu/PSOA///Film/Danielson/NatRecordistMicList/MicSpreadsheet.htm

B. Mic Spreadsheet Exel doc-- Has Mic specs that anyone can download
for sorting by preferred criteria and adding/deleting info from as
they research mics.
http://www.uwm.edu/PSOA///Film/Danielson/NatRecordistMicList/MicSpreadsheet.xls

B. MicList--   Includes subscriber testimonies about selected mics.
An html page now but as a PDF doc eventually. For an example, scroll
down to "MBHO" :
http://www.uwm.edu/PSOA//Film/Danielson/NatRecordistMicList/MicList.htm

C. Here are the questions for supplying comments for the MicList:

  =  =  =  =  =   Nature Recordists MicList Addition  =  =  =  =  =  =

Microphone used and commented about:
(include accurate model number and specs if not yet listed. Price you
paid new or used is also useful)

  - - - -

Subscriber's Name:

Hometown:

Date of Submission:

Tested in these Recording Situations:

Comments about this Microphone:

Description of the Mic's Soundfield:

Links to Recordings made with this Microphone:

Other links pertaining to this microphone:

(You may attach a small picture of the mic or your rig with it)

=  =  =  =  =  email  to Rob Danielson <> =  =  =  =  =  =

--
Rob Danielson
Film Department