External Battery Powered Phantom Supplies with MKH.

Subject: External Battery Powered Phantom Supplies with MKH.
From: "bbystrek" <>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2003 00:57:44 -0000
Does anyone have any experience with external battery powered phantom
power supplies for powering a pair of Sennheiser MHK series mics when
the recorder does not have the provision (i.e. my Sony PCM-M1 micro
DAT with unbalanced stereo mini input, equivalent to the consumer
market portable minidisc recorders)?  I really would like to upgrade
to the MKH mics for quiet ambient situations, at the same time I'd
like to hang on to the recorder for a while until the pro-audio
portable harddisk recorders become a little more affordable.  I'm
hoping that there is a solution without introducing excessive noise
where otherwise I would probably fall back to the Sennheiser ME
series mics with their K6 module incorporating a built-in battery.

Sennheiser makes a single channel unit, "MZA14P48U", but it's a
little pricy at a retail of around $383, incorating variable
attenuation and some filtering options - neither of which I would use.

Denecke offers their "PS-2" supply which appears would do the trick
for around $150 - http://www.denecke.com/prod04.htm.