Re: External Battery Powered Phantom Supplies with MKH.

Subject: Re: External Battery Powered Phantom Supplies with MKH.
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 22:14:56 -0400
bbystrek wrote:
> Does anyone have any experience with external battery powered phantom
> power supplies for powering a pair of Sennheiser MHK series mics when
> the recorder does not have the provision (i.e. my Sony PCM-M1 micro
> DAT with unbalanced stereo mini input, equivalent to the consumer
> market portable minidisc recorders)?  I really would like to upgrade
> to the MKH mics for quiet ambient situations, at the same time I'd
> like to hang on to the recorder for a while until the pro-audio
> portable harddisk recorders become a little more affordable.  I'm
> hoping that there is a solution without introducing excessive noise
> where otherwise I would probably fall back to the Sennheiser ME
> series mics with their K6 module incorporating a built-in battery.

I don't see why the battery modules should be a source of problems,
other than being a extra lump to deal with.

What moved me into MKH over ME was the MKH-30 figure 8 mic. The
necessary mic for M/S recording. The ME series does not have a figure 8
mic. Once I went with the MKH-30, going with MKH mics with it seemed
appropriate. Something to think about if you think you will be doing M/S.

I tend to hang onto a recorder for as long as it works. I've probably
got plenty of time to wait for the new stuff to settle. Maybe the rest
of my life considering how well built the Portadisc is. Maybe by the
time I need a new recorder they will be using crystal memory like star
trek ;-)

> Sennheiser makes a single channel unit, "MZA14P48U", but it's a
> little pricy at a retail of around $383, incorating variable
> attenuation and some filtering options - neither of which I would use.

While this has that high list price, I have a couple of those I got off
Ebay. Paid $35 for one, $42 for the other. They are nice. I see them on
Ebay every once in a while. When I manage to get it all set up I will
need them with my experiments in digital wireless mic transmission.

I agree, for nature recording the attenuation is not going to be that
valuable. The low cut filter is useful, but if going MKH mics the
current line has these built in.

Sennheiser did also make a dual unit at some time. I've seen a couple of
those on Ebay, but they went for more than I was willing to pay.

> Denecke offers their "PS-2" supply which appears would do the trick
> for around $150 - http://www.denecke.com/prod04.htm.

There are a fair number of them around. Lots of mic manufacturers have
them hiding in their accessories.