Re: mic database draft

Subject: Re: mic database draft
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 22:32:42 -0400
Rob Danielson wrote:

> Let me know what you think. Too klunky? Worth the trouble?
> I'm leaving on a recording trip to the Kickapoo Valley Friday morn,
> I'll get back circa 4-25.

A couple things I noted.

Polar patterns would be nice to have in the specs part of the database.
I refer to those a lot. I think the specs should be separate. One format
that you might consider for that is pdf. Have it on a html page and have
a downloadable pdf copy. Pdf is as close to a universal format as you
can get.

Excel is available both in macs and windows. I'm not sure if the windows
version can read the mac excel files, but the mac version can read and
write the windows version of the files.

I'm not sure about preferred recording subjects/locations. Since I might
use any of the mics I have depending on my mood, how close I am and so
on. I've commented on how music and studio work tends to categorize mics
by instruments they record. But in nature recording we don't generally
get so specialized. For my mics preferred subjects/location would be
frogs/Georgia for all the mics. Splitting it out more would not give a
true picture.

I tend to categorize mics by their potential soundfield. What sort of
area they are going to pick up from. Like, for instance, the
SASS/MKH-20, which has a very wide soundfield, but not a lot of depth to
it. Compared to, say, the Telinga w DAT Stereo, which I think of as kind
of pear shaped field, with a very long neck on the pear.

The other problem, is combinations. All my M/S mics are combinations of
two different mics. It's not the only way that they can be used. And
each mic in the combo has different specs, except in the case of the M/S
MKH-80/80, where the same model is used for both with one set to figure
8 and the other set currently to cardioid. Or there is the SASS/MKH-20
and SASS/MKH-110. These have different characteristics than the
contained mics. Though obviously some of their character derives from
the mics.

Note in listing the Telinga Pro V, there are several different mic
elements. It's a family of mics with different characteristics. Most
common elements to see around are the DAT Stereo, or the Dual Science.
The Dual Science even has two independent mono mics in it.

There have been considerable comments about various mics in the group.
Extracting those might be worthwhile if there is to be a comments database.