Re: mic database draft

Subject: Re: mic database draft
From: Rob Danielson <>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 03:29:06 -0500
Vlad wrote:
>There was talk a few days ago about creating a field-recording mic
>database (yes, that mic site mentioned is good, but indeed a bit
>dated and not all-inclusive).  Many of you may already be aware that
>Rycote offers a mic database book/CD (all types, presumably, but
>perhaps field is a category...)
>
>That Australian bird is indeed beautiful!  Did you notice what seems
>to be fainter birds further away in the b/g in the left channel?
>
>The TL44 is looking better every day.  Thank you all for your input,
>esp. on self-noise.
>
>regards,
>Vlad

H Vlad et al--

I'm a novice at making web pages, but here's a sketch for a mic data
base with space for Nat Rec subscribers to make comments.

1. Nature Recordists Subscribers volunteer to email me their comments
about a mic or mic(s) they have considerable experience with using a
form for each mic that is something like this: (user can modify it)

  =3D =3D =3D =3D Form for emailing to Rob Danielson <> =3D =
=3D =3D =3D =3D =3D

Microphone used and commented about:
(include accurate model number and specs  here, no links please)

  - - - -

Subscriber:

Hometown:

Date of Submission:

Preferred Recording Subjects/Locations:

Comments about this Microphone:

Links to Recordings made with this Microphone:

Other links pertaining to this microphone:

(If attaching ONE picture, please make it ~10K, put model no and your
name in file's title please)

=3D  =3D  =3D  =3D  =3D  End of Form , email  to Rob Danielson
<> =3D  =3D  =3D  =3D  =3D  =3D

2.  I have compiled a list of mics with basic tech info started that
we can add to. I see it  as available in two forms:

A. List of Mics as a data spreadsheet anyone can download to use/keep
for notes. Nice thing about this  spreadsheet is you can sort the
columns by noise, price, whatever you want.
http://www.uwm.edu/PSOA///Film/Danielson/NatRecordistMicList/MicSpreadsheet=
.xls
Its an excel worksheet, PC folks, can you download/use it?
If not try this zipped version:
http://www.uwm.edu/PSOA///Film/Danielson/NatRecordistMicList/MicSpreadsheet=
.xls.zip

B. List of Mics as on one web page. Subscriber comments would be
linked to the mic model numbers as folks email them to me. Scan down
to "MBHO"  for a link to a sample comment
http://www.uwm.edu/PSOA//Film/Danielson/NatRecordistMicList/MicSpreadsheet.=
htm

Because the comments are book marked, one can also copy and send
shortcuts like the below from the URL prompt line.
http://www.uwm.edu/PSOA//Film/Danielson/NatRecordistMicList/Comments.htm#MB=
HO603aKA100DK

If we keep the comments fairly short, there's space for quite a few
comments about the mics we like.

There are some problems like it will take a long time to load the
comments web page as one long doc eventually.=20

Let me know what you think. Too klunky? Worth the trouble?
I'm leaving on a recording trip to the Kickapoo Valley Friday morn,
I'll get back circa 4-25.

Best Regards,
Rob Danielson

--