Re: Using Telinga

Subject: Re: Using Telinga
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 22:48:21 -0400
pratap singh wrote:
> Dear Nature Recordists,
>
> When recording with Telinga parabolic microphone, if I go too near
> the object, the sound changes. I want to know what is the minimum
> distance from the object for good recording. Is it frequency
> dependent?

The closest I've used the Telinga was 3'. In that case I was primarily
interested in the reflector acting as a barrier to tone down a bunch of
nearby air conditioners. But, it gave me a good recording. Note at that
close distance the parabola won't be well focused.

I believe that someone mentioned using the dish as a "tent" over
insects, setting it right on the ground and getting good recordings.

I fairly routinely have used the Telinga from 15' on out to separate
individual calling frogs with good results.

One thing you might check is your focus. The focus shifts as you get
closer. In fact you can notice this at fairly long distances. The sound
will change as a result of the focus shift. But adjust the mic in the
focus and you can generally find the same sound again. I generally have
my Telinga set on focus for about 100'. The shift for distances beyond
that is very small, and focusing that close in gives me better close
work without having to bother with shifting focus all the time.

In practical usage, I've not noticed this being particularly frequency
dependent.