Re: Parabolic reflectors and low frequency sound

Subject: Re: Parabolic reflectors and low frequency sound
From: "Raimund Specht" <>
Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2003 08:30:58 -0000
--- In  Walter Knapp <>
wrote:
> Much of what you mention is much the same on or off axis.
Including the
> citations you gave, which are, as near as I can tell, only the on
axis
> for a particular tested parabola, or a limited number of them.
Certainly
> unwise to believe that all reflectors behave the same. Syd's
question
> went to the changes as you move off axis. Which, of course is not
all
> that simple either. These differences are a separate problem from
on
> axis design, though some of it is related.

Sure, these published frequency plots do apply for on-axis sound
only. It will get more complicated when looking at different angles.
I guess, that there will be some similarities to the directional
characteristics of shotgun microphones.

Please do not misunderstand this:
In general, some of the folks talking about microphones (and other
high-end audio equipment) tend to mystify the reality. You can find
a lot of fairytales in that field...

Raimund