RE: Mourning Dove

Subject: RE: Mourning Dove
From: Fernando Gonz=E1lez-Garc=EDa <>
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2003 08:00:59 -0500
Yes Jim, they are talking about Zenaida macroura. If you had some recording
i could do the same like you, donate it.
According to Howell and Webb (1995), Socorro Dove apparently vanished
between 1958 and 1978, presumably due to cat predation in conjuntion with
human settlement of the island in 1957. Viable breeding populations exist i=
USA and Europe aviaries and reintroduction may be possible if introduced
mammals can be eliminated from Socorro. The song is a hoarse cooing wah-ah
ah ah ah, ahh-ah, quite different from Mourning Dove.
I know that sound tape exist about the song of Socorro Dove, but i do not
remeber it it have been recording from captive individuals. A Mexican
colleague Juan Esteban Martinez together with Luis Baptista (late) and
another researcher have been trying to start that program
in Socorro Island but the main problem is the introduced mamals and another
political situations. I hope Dr. Martin Heindl is talking about the same
reintroduction program.