Re: my setup

Subject: Re: my setup
From: Gregory Kunkel <>
Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2003 04:47:06 -0800 (PST)
John
  I have two such setups, one at my regular home and
the other at my vaction home.
they both have Radio Shack Condenser Elements (270-092
 about $4) feeding into old cassette recorders acting
as preamps, and then into the sound card of a
computer. The mics are out under the roof overhangs
all year and I replace them every two or three years
although in eight years they have never failed except
when one was pecked to death by an Eastern Phoebe.(It
was very close to her nest).

Recording bass is no problem. Recording it is. My home
system faces a wooded lot which has a busy highway 200
yard beyond. Here I pass the preamp output through an
old graphic equalizer to cut down on the bass.

My home system has a 30ft cable run and I have to
shield and ground it carefully to avoid RF
interference.

As I type this I can hear a Red-bellied Woodpecker
jabbering away.

See my web page:
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/G_Kunkel/microphone.htm
                      Greg Kunkel