Re: minidisc

Subject: Re: minidisc
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 14:33:51 -0500
Lang Elliott wrote:
> Also, S/PDIF output would probably be nice too, if that would produce a
> better transfer than using line-out and re-digitizing.
>
> Tell me what to buy!

That requirement leaves you with just two choices, the Marantz PMD 650
or the HHb Portadisc. Or you will have to buy a separate deck that
contains S/PDIF output to do the transfer. The inexpensive walkman MD's
don't have S/PDIF output.

I'm not really up on current models, and good luck on finding something
finger size. Mostly you just have to figure out arcane ways of holding
the things if you have to do combo button pushes, like getting into
record pause. Most of the time I was pushing buttons with a fingernail
or ink pen. Whatever you get, try before you buy if you can.

For your work I have a feeling you are not going to like the Walkman
MD's. Though I know you ruled it out, what you need in a MD is the
Portadisc. The quality I get off mine is not something that could be
duplicated with just a walkman MD and a MP-2. At minimum you must solve
the digital transfer problem.

In walkman MD's I still think the older MZ-R30, R50 & R55 are probably
the best for field recording. Though reports on some of the newest
models seem to indicate that Sony is getting back into building ones
designed to be portable recorders as opposed to players that record
mp3's. Or stealth concert recorders.