Re: A hum while on charge

Subject: Re: A hum while on charge
From: Klas Strandberg <>
Date: Sat, 08 Mar 2003 19:02:39 +0100
It's normal, John, the mic is made for use outdoors, with battery operated
equipment only. More shielding and "hum-precautions" would just increase
weight and price.

Klas.

At 15:18 2003-03-08 -0000, you wrote:

>I recieved my new DAT-stereo mic yesterday, boy what a wonderful mic!
> I hooked it up to my Portadisc recorder and found a hum. It only has
>this hum while it is plugged into ac, not when running on battery
>only.
>  I tried upgrading my cables, no help. I tried it on other mic's,
>no hum.
>  Perhaps one of you recognizes my error and can help set me straight?
>  Thanking you in advance,

Telinga Microphones, Botarbo,
S-748 96 Tobo, Sweden.
Phone & fax int + 295 310 01
email:

>From   Tue Mar  8 18:23:30 2005
Message: 13
Date: Sat, 8 Mar 2003 21:20:25 EST

In a message dated 3/8/2003 10:10:15 AM Central Standard Time,
 writes:

> The Telinga is intended to be recharged from another battery. If you are
> using a AC battery charger to charge it, then that's likely the source.
> I've always used some 9.6volt NIMH batteries to charge it. It's internal
> battery, like most 9 volt rechargables is actually a 7.2volt battery. If
> you can locate some of the higher voltage 9 volt rechargables they will
> work the same as the alkaline 9 volt batteries it was designed for.
>
> If the hum is due to the Portadisc charger, that's not normal. I never
> get any hum when using it while it's plugged into it's AC power.
>
> Usually hum otherwise is a indication of a grounding problem.
>
> And, last, if you are testing the Telinga inside it's almost impossible
> to find anywhere you won't pick up hum from something. The mic is that
> sensitive. Try it all outside on batteries and see.
>
> Walt

I get a hum when my Portadisc is plugged into AC and my Telinga is turned on.
As soon as I unplug the AC the hum goes away.
I have no idea why it does this. Safe to say I don't do any recording with my
Portadisc plugged into the wall.
Stan Tekiela
Author / Naturalist
Wildlife Photographer