Re: A hum while on charge

Subject: Re: A hum while on charge
From: "jyoung1113" <>
Date: Sat, 08 Mar 2003 22:17:54 -0000
--- In  Walter Knapp <>
wrote:
> jyoung1113 wrote:
>
> > Thank you Walt for your quick response.
> > Yes the hum comes when I use the Portadisc ac/dc plug in or using
the
> > Portadisc using the "mains".
> > When I unplug teh Portadisc all is fine, but plug it in and I get
this
> > hum.
> >   I tried different mics and they don't give me this problem, just
the
> > DAT-stereo
> >   You sure are right about the mic being sensitive and strong
though,
> > I have never experienced anything like it.
> >   Well I guess I should have the Portadisc looked at, I just hate
> > go with out it for 2 weeks.
> > Thanks again Walt,

> I absolutely never use the Telinga with the Portadisc plugged into
AC,
> that would take one long extension cord! Based on Klas' comment I
went
> and checked. Yes, if the Portadisc is plugged into AC and the
Telinga
> connected I get a hum, which goes away when I unplug the power for
the
> Portadisc. I've been using the two together for several years, and
this
> is the first time I've had occasion to do this.
>
> I've tested other mics while the Portadisc was plugged in without
that
> happening, so Klas is probably right, the Telinga is not shielded
enough
> for AC operation.
>
> I don't consider it a problem. And no reason to have the Portadisc
in
> the shop.
>
> It's not the cable between the Telinga and Portadisc. I've replaced
that
> cable and am using a 5 pin XLR connector and Canare star quad cable.
So,
> it's all balanced cabling as far as the Telinga handle. There is no
> connection between signal minus and shield in mine. The circuit in
the
> handle is not shielded in any case. Note that this also means if I
> forget and leave phantom power on there is no problem. Shuffling
mics
> for the samples I've already done that.
>
> Only time I've had hum pickup out in the field was under some high
> tension lines, and I could practically feel my hair standing on end
> then. That was only a fairly faint hum. And was back when I was
using a
> Sony MZ-R30.
>
> Walt

Last night, after I recieved the mic, I set up everything on our
dining room table. Just as I got the mic hooked up I heard something
outside. So I opened the sliding glass door and heard what I thought
was a frog calling and also a Barred Owl calling.
  So I reached over and plugged in the recorder. (I thought this would
be a great way to test the new mic with the recorder anyway)That is
when I found the hum, while monitoring with my headphones.
  With Klas's OK and your confirmation, I won't worry about it, nor
will I send the recorder for a check up, thank goodness.(I wouldn't
want to be without my equipment for a forever long 2 weeks)
  Again, thanks to both of you for the good news.