Re: Lang's log scale sonograms

Subject: Re: Lang's log scale sonograms
From: "Steve Pelikan" <>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 23:07:51 -0500
Lang et. al.:

At http://math.uc.edu/~pelikan/Dora/sonos.html

is an example of two sonograms produced from the same sound file.
The "coarseness" of the log-scaled picture can be fixed by using a larger
blocksize when doing the transforms --- as it was several pixels get the
same power data at the lower frequencies.

And Walt's right (what else is new?) that the Dora program(s) are written
in Java so that, in principle, they can run on Window, Unix, Linux, and Mac.
I've only tried the first 3. If someone wants "help" getting java installed
and
Dora running, I'd be happy to trade a few emails  on
the subject.

On the subject of music vs. natural sounds, I completely understand Walt's
sense that
music (and the $$ associated with recordings of same) has nearly completely
determined
the course of development of recording aesthetics, technique and equipment.
Probably not in the best
interests of natural sound recordists. On the other hand, one of the best
"ear" birders I
know has perfect pitch and is very effective in communicating about bird
sounds using
the language of music.

Cheers!

Steve P