Re: Sound Devices MP2

Subject: Re: Sound Devices MP2
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 12:00:55 -0500
Kevin J. Colver wrote:
> Some of the stores I contacted sell the MP2 for about $650.  Anyone know
> of a less expensive source for a new device?
> Kevin Colver

When I was looking for one I did a search for them on google. Then
checked every dealer site that popped up. As I remember, the lowest
price for a new one I saw at the time was about $550. I can't remember
where now.

That same search is how I found the one I bought, as many dealers also
have a page of used, demos and so on for sale. The one I got had been
bought, then a couple days later the customer decided he really wanted a
portable mixer, so brought it back unused and traded for what he wanted.
That one turned up in the dealers's used page for $490. Primarily
because the customer had not returned the box.

As far as I can tell it's a perfect new one. And Sound Devices are
perfectly happy to treat me like the original owner. They put the NIMH
mod in the battery compartment for free. This is a different spring that
make's proper contact to AA's that have insulation around the button
contact, common in NIMH batteries. Current MP2's have the newer style
spring. To fix the older ones involves replacing the battery compartment.