Re: Hi freq hiss

Subject: Re: Hi freq hiss
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 15:55:29 -0500
Wild Sanctuary wrote:
> We've got plenty of experience with this type of system, Walt.
> Although every system has its own limitations, this type (MS) offers,
> for us, many more options on the post-production end than any other
> we've found so far. But we're always looking...
>
> Bernie

Your praise of M/S is one of the reasons why I'm into it, that's part of
  what got me looking into it. I'm impressed with what I've managed to
fumble through so far. I may not, in the end, cart around so many
versions routinely, but M/S is definitely well settled into my kit.

One question comes to mind. My M/S decoding software has settings for
the contributions of the two mics in percent. It defaults to a setting
of 100% for both, I assume that's the equal mix from the two. It has
settings that range from 0 to 200%, both positive and negative, allowing
considerable latitude. In terms of mix what sort of range of ratios do
you find work well?

The pan settings I have no real problem with. They are fairly obvious.
But the mix is like a kid in a candy store. So many choices.

A related question is when you record. Do you try to get the metering
readings for the Mid and Side the same, or just keep the gain the same
for both?