Re: Hi freq hiss

Subject: Re: Hi freq hiss
From: Wild Sanctuary <>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 11:42:33 -0800
We've got plenty of experience with this type of system, Walt.
Although every system has its own limitations, this type (MS) offers,
for us, many more options on the post-production end than any other
we've found so far. But we're always looking...

Bernie

>Wild Sanctuary wrote:
>>  That's exactly the system we use. Hi freq hiss depends entirely on
>>  the habitat atmospheric conditions, the type of pre-amp you're using
>>  and the level of actual signal (in relation to your input levels and
>>  the type of recorder you're using). As far as we know, the MKH 30/40
>>  M-S combo is the quietest system we've tested.
>
>I'm pretty sure this is some difference in the way I recorded that clip.
>I've checked the mics here and it's perfectly quiet. Every one of the
>MKH systems I have are very quiet normally. I'm pretty sure I must have
>recorded it with too low a gain relative to the others.
>
>Folks will just have to bear with me, I'm just learning these mics.
>Looks like I've learned they are more picky about gain than the Telinga.
>
>Here are the self noise and sensitivity ratings of the various MKH mics
>in my samples:
>
>MKH-20:  Noise: 10dBA  Sensitivity: 25mV/Pa
>MKH-30:  Noise: 13dBA  Sensitivity: 25mV/Pa
>MKH-40:  Noise: 12dBA  Sensitivity: 25mV/Pa
>MKH-60:  Noise:  6dBA  Sensitivity: 40mV/Pa
>MKH-80:  Noise: 10dBA  Sensitivity: 40mV/Pa
>MKH-110: Noise: 15dBA  Sensitivity: 20mV/Pa (Michael Hartkopf's Data)
>
>The increased sensitivity of the 60 and 80 probably explains my
>impression of a weaker signal from the 40. In the order that I recorded
>in the field the MKH 30/40 setup was used right after the MKH 30/60. Bet
>I forgot to check the gain when I changed over.
>
>I've done a sonogram check on the originals of the clips. The noise is
>increased not just for the high frequencies, but lows as well. Which
>seems to agree with a gain setting error.
>
>The dummy behind the mics will try and do better next time.
>
>Walt

Wild Sanctuary, Inc.
P. O. Box 536
Glen Ellen, CA 95442