Re: Shipping audio gear in the US

Subject: Re: Shipping audio gear in the US
From: Wild Sanctuary <>
Date: Sat, 8 Feb 2003 13:46:08 -0800
I send it directly to the hotel/motel where I'm staying with a "Hold
for Arrival" notice on the label.

Bernie

>I've heard other people suggest this as well. Seems reasonable. Where do you
>send it to at your destination city? Your hotel? Can you just arrange to
>pick it up at the FedEx/UPS/Airbourne warehouse?
>
>Ed
>
>Wild Sanctuary wrote:
>
>>  With the new Homeland Security mandates in place, it has become a
>>  real problem to  check audio gear through in baggage on the same
>>  flight, especially if your field equipment is too large to fit (with
>>  your clothes and other personal items) in a carry-on. The Transp.
>>  Sec. Agency requires that all bags be left unlocked if they are to be
>>  checked through as baggage so that they can be inspected by hand.
>>  Locked bags are summarily broken into.
>>
>>  On a recent flight taken by a colleague, several items (a DAT
>>  recorder and microphone) were taken out of his Pelican case, never to
>>  be recovered. Several of the latches arrived at the destination
>>  unsecured. He was told that he could make a claim which rested on the
>>  support of a review of video tape of events that occurred within the
>>  baggage security zone of the airport from which he left, assuming, of
>>  course, that they were still obtainable. Furthermore, the results of
>>  his claim would remain unknown for from 4 - 6 months. Also, the
>>  airlines typically will not now insure baggage containing electronic
>>  equipment and it is subject to getting lost, as well.
>>
>>  Additionally, if your bags exceed 61 linear inches and/or 70 pounds
>>  in weight, you are charged an additional $80USD for each "offence."
>>
>>  I'm addressing that problem by sending the baggage locked and insured
>>  by Airborne Express, which has some really great rates for ground
>>  delivery and even reasonable ones (providing someone else is paying)
>>  for 2nd or 3rd day air. I just sent a 94 pound, 62 linear inch
>>  Pelican case from my place to Denver via Airborne ground (3 day
>>  delivery) for under $45. That way, it can be tracked and there is a
>>  reasonable chance that one can recover something if, in fact, it is
>>  lost.
>>
>>  Anyone else having these problems?
>>
>>  Bernie Krause
>>
>>  Wild Sanctuary, Inc.
>>  P. O. Box 536
>>  Glen Ellen, CA 95442
>>  707-996-6677 tel
>>  707-996-0280 fax
>>  http://www.wildsanctuary.com
>>
>>  >

>>  --

Wild Sanctuary, Inc.
P. O. Box 536
Glen Ellen, CA 95442
707-996-6677 tel
707-996-0280 fax
http://www.wildsanctuary.com

>From   Tue Mar  8 18:23:17 2005
Message: 1
Date: Fri, 07 Feb 2003 13:55:19 -0000
From: "evertveldhuis <>" <>
Subject: Re:Where did I go wrong?

--- In  "jdmooreth <>"
<> wrote:
<CUT by Evert>
> 1. owlcam         Asian barred owlet recorded with camcorder and
> Sound Professionals mic
> 2. owlmd           Same bird, same time,same place, recorded on MD
> with Sony ECM 957 mic with Shure matching transformer, volume set
> to manual, about 50% gain.
> 3. drongocam     Black drongo recorded with camcorder as above
> 4. drongomd       Same bird etc on MD with Sony ECM 957 mic,
> plugged into mic input, no transformer, gain set to about 50%.
>
> When I got home and listened to no.4 I checked the Sony mic on the
> camcorder and it gave about the same level of gain as the Sound
> Professionals, so there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the
> battery.
> Basically, I'm not happy with any of the recordings, so Walt's
> comments on the HHB vs Marantz were very helpful.
>
> Regards
> John Moore

Hi John,

I took a listen to your MP3s and can imagina you're not satisfied.
The signal is drowning in noise :(

I do not think buying an far expensive recorder will solve this
problem the best way. Sure it will, but your problem is easy; I saw
in the MD recordings a DC offset of 25 to 30 dB
and in the CAMcorder it was -73 to -90 which are better values; the
higher this (negative) number the better.

I think your MD is faulty. Besides that, for nature recording you
*should* not use a MD model that has no mic-preamp-switch that can be
used for high and low levels. Since your model has not got this
switch, I suggest you return your model and get a recorder that
*does* have this switch. I think most people would have this setting
to 'low' so that selfnoise of the micpreamp is much less then on the
high setting. And I was told that MD recorders wihtout the switch are
comparable with the switch set to 'high'.

Regards, Evert